Spiced Rhubarb, Orange and Ricotta Cake
Made with Perfect Italiano™ Ricotta
Please select the seprator type
For the rhubarb compote:
- 2 stems of rhubarb, washed and cut into 1cm chunks
- 1 tbsp fresh orange juice
- 1 tbsp caster sugar
For the cake:
- 180g butter, softened
- 180g caster sugar
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 6 free range eggs, separated
- 300g ricotta
- zest and juice of 1 orange
- 1 tsp cinnamon
- 1 tsp allspice
- 250g ground almonds
- 50g plain flour
Fresh flowers (optional)
- First, make the rhubarb compote. Combine all ingredients in a saucepan. Bring to a boil over medium heat, stirring occasionally. Continue to gently simmer for about 5 minutes until soft and falling apart. Set aside to cool.
- Preheat oven to 160°C fan bake. Grease and line a 22cm x 22cm square cake tin with baking paper.
- In the bowl of an electric mixer, beat the butter, sugar and vanilla together until pale, light and fluffy.
- Add the egg yolks one at a time, beating well between each addition.
- Add the ricotta, orange juice and zest and spices and gently mix.
- Finally, add the ground almonds and flour and mix until just combined.
- Spoon the batter into the prepared cake tin and bake for approximately 50 minutes or until springy to the touch and a skewer comes out clean.
- Allow the cake to cool for 10 minutes before turning out onto a cooling rack.
- Serve the cake warm with a generous amount of the rhubarb compote. Decorate with fresh flowers if desired.
- Refrigerate in an airtight container for up to 3 days.