Please select the seprator type
- 2 tbsp dried granular yeast
- 500ml lukewarm water
- 750g plain flower
- 80g cornmeal or polenta
- 2 tsp salt
- 125ml olive oil
- Heat the oil in a large non-stick frypan.
- Add the onion and cook for 2 - 3 minutes.
- Remove the sausage meat from the casing and add to the pan breaking into bite-sized pieces.
- Cook for a further 3 - 4 minutes or until lightly golden.
- Add the fennel seeds and chilli flakes then stir in the tomato paste, spinach leaves and water and cook for a further 3- 4 minutes or until cooked and thickened.
- Set aside to cool completely while you prepare the pizza base.
- Sprinkle the dried granular yeast into the water. Leave to dissolve for 5 – 10 minutes.
- Combine the flour, cornmeal and salt in a large mixing bowl. Make a well in the centre and slowly add olive oil and yeast mixture. Stir with a wooden spoon until the mixture is roughly combined. It will be quite moist.
- Lightly flour a work surface and top out the dough. Knead for 8 – 10 minutes, until smooth and elastic. Place the dough in a large, clean, oiled bowl, cover and leave to rise for 1 hour, or until doubled in size.
- Preheat the oven to 220°C. Knead the dough again a few times, then divide it into six equal parts to make six 20-25cm calzone. Place on a lightly floured baking sheet.
- Place a slice mozzarella on each base for extra cheesiness, then spoon over mixture. fold each base into half over the filling. Crimp the edge so the filling cannot spill out.
- Cook in the middle of the preheated oven for 14 – 16 minutes or until Puffy and golden.