Caramelised Onion, Fig and Gorgonzola Pizza
Made with Perfect Italiano™ Parmesan Cheese
- 1 x 30cm Pizza Base
- 25ml olive oil
- 1 clove garlic, finely chopped
- ½ rosemary sprig
- pinch dried oregano
- 15g butter
- 1 onion, thinly sliced
- 1 tbsp brown sugar
- splash of balsamic vinegar
- 1 fig, sliced into 6 pieces
- 25g Gorgonzola cheese
- a handful of fresh rocket leaves
- 25g Perfect Italiano™ Parmesan, shaved
- salt and black pepper
- Preheat oven to 250°C.
- In a small bowl mix a quarter of the olive oil with the garlic, rosemary and oregano. set aside.
- Heat butter and remaining oil in a deep frying pan over medium heat. Cook onion for 10 minutes stirring often until softened. Reduce heat to low, add sugar and cook for another 10-15 minutes until soft and light brown in colour. Remove from heat, add balsamic vinegar, season with salt and pepper and stir through.
- Brush the pizza base with the garlic and rosemary oil and top with caramelised onion, figs and small chunks of Gorgonzola evenly placed around the pizza.
- Place the pizza in the oven for 10-15 minutes until the cheese is melted and base is crispy, remove from oven then top with rocket and parmesan, cut and serve.
- If figs are not in season or are unavailable, replace with thin slices of fresh pear
- If you can't find Gorgonzola cheese, try a blue vein or Stilton style. For a lighter blue cheese flavour, look for a creamy blue cheese