- 50g butter
- 1 onion, chopped
- 2 cloves garlic, crushed
- 700g bottle Italian tomato cooking sauce
- salt and freshly ground black pepper, to taste
- 125g Perfect Italiano™ Parmesan
- 500g potatoes, peeled, cooked and pressed through a sieve
- 250g tub Perfect Italiano™ Ricotta
- 1 egg, lightly beaten
- 2 tbsp chopped fresh herbs (flat leaf parsley, chives, basil)
- freshly grated nutmeg, to taste
- ¾ – 1 cup plain flour
- ¾ cup fresh basil leaves
- olive oil, for drizzling
- Melt butter in a heavy based saucepan, add onion and garlic and cook until softened. Add tomato sauce and cook for 10 minutes, stirring occasionally, until slightly thickened. Season to taste.
- Grate half the Parmesan and combine with cooled sieved potato, ricotta, egg, herbs and seasonings. Knead in enough flour to obtain a smooth, non sticky dough (amount will vary, depending on the dryness of potatoes).
- Divide dough into 4 equal portions and roll each into a long sausage shape 2cm thick. Cut into 2cm lengths. If desired, gently roll each gnocchi over the back of a fork.
- Bring a large saucepan of salted water to the boil and cook gnocchi in batches until they rise to the surface. Toss immediately with hot sauce and basil leaves.
- Serve with remaining shaved or grated Parmesan and a drizzle of olive oil.