Ricotta and Herb Gnocchi with Asparagus
- 50g Anchor Butter
- 1 onion, chopped
- 2 cloves garlic, crushed
- 700g bottle Italian tomato cooking sauce
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper, to taste
- 250g block Perfect Italiano Traditional Hard Cheese
- 500g potatoes, peeled, cooked and mashed
- 250g tub ricotta
- 2 eggs, lightly beaten
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh herbs (flat leaf parsley, chives, basil)
- freshly grated nutmeg, to taste
- 3/4 – 1 cup plain flour
- 1 bunch asparagus, steamed and cut into 7cm lengths
- 3/4 cup fresh basil leaves
- Olive oil, for drizzling
- Melt butter in a heavy based saucepan, add onion and garlic and cook until softened. Add tomato sauce and cook for 10 minutes, stirring occasionally, until slightly thickened. Season to taste.
- Grate half the Traditional Hard Cheese and combine with cooled mashed potato, ricotta, eggs, herbs and seasonings. Knead in enough flour to obtain a smooth, non sticky dough (amount will vary, depending on the dryness of potatoes).
- Divide dough into 4 equal portions and roll each into a long sausage shape 2cm thick. Cut into 2cm lengths. If desired, gently roll each gnocchi over the back of a fork.
- Bring a large saucepan of salted water to the boil and cook gnocchi in batches until they rise to the surface. Toss immediately with hot sauce, asparagus and basil leaves. Serve with remaining grated Traditional Hard Cheese and a drizzle of olive oil.